Friday, February 23, 2007

The humor of the gods

I've had a feeling in my gut that the Mahagonny trip was going to become more complicated than I expected. When you look forward to something so much, the gods have a way of reminding you who is boss. Well, tonight the complication appeared.

My front bridge fell out again. This happened a few months ago, and the emergency dentist gave me permanent options while replacing the bridge temporarily. When I quickly saw my regular dentist, the bridge appeared to be secure, so we agreed to leave it be and see what happens. Tonight it happened. It fell out again.

I have a 7 a.m. emergency appointment tomorrow to see if another temporary fix can be administered before I catch my plane. If not, it's toothless in L.A. You don't need teeth to watch an opera, and I've known my friends in L.A. so long that they've seen me in far worse condition than toothless. But upon return, it is time to choose a permanent option.

The good news is that I'm now using toothlessness as an excuse not to go to a social gathering tonight, sending my wife on her way alone. I'll watch a movie instead.

I hope the gods don't have anything else up their sleeve. You never can tell. They're a sneaky bunch.

No comments: