Tuesday, February 13, 2007

So close and yet ...


I'm damn close to being able to play this piano piece I've been working on (not the classwork, which is still pretty easy for me) ... I make a few mistakes along the way but I'm close. Nice to be doing something when you know when you're wrong. That's also what I liked about mathematics, my first discipline and love as a teenager. No opinions here, you either play the thing right or you don't -- of course, "interpretation" enters the piano picture later but at this stage, it's a matter of getting the right notes in the right order at the right time, right or wrong. I like the clarity of that very much, as frustrating as it is when you're so close and yet so far away. But I'll keep at it -- and I already know the next piece I want to work on, all this apart from the class assignments. More challenging stuff.

Working with a former student via writing & conference and read her new script. She has a great talent for characters but overwrites action, too literary, which is easy enough to fix. She needs to take a more practical approach to the craft, as so many do. Otherwise they shoot themselves in the foot, trying to turn screenwriting into something it isn't, certainly not at the level of the spec script in a very crowded marketplace. Everybody wants the screenplay to be robustly literary -- except the harried readers who read them for a living.

Caught up in school stuff, watch a movie today.

Behind on the novel, brooding about the next movement. Something in my story board isn't right after all, I think.

No comments: