Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chamber opera

Today John sent me the 153-page score (in draft) for "The Love of Long Ago," the first of three short chamber opera works based on short stories by Maupassant. 3 voices, 2 violins, viola, cello -- more easily performed than the full-scale opera Dark Mission, our first operatic collaboration. John has the libretto for the 2nd story and I'm at work on the 3rd. When the full work is done, John will hope to get interest from the Center for Contemporary Opera.

A first listen has me pleased. Will listen more carefully and take notes that may be helpful to him. This also is incentive to finish the final libretto.

Picked up and am reading Existentialism: A Very Short Introduction, which looks quite excellent early on. I'm sure I'll have more to say about it later.

Something of a lazy day. Practiced piano in the morning a tad. Reading. Errands. No writing, but I'm brooding again over the direction of the novel. I stopped last session in the middle of action, which I can easily pick up. I'm brooding about various options for the middle section of the book, act two as it were. I think my story board needs more legs.

No comments: