Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A favorite writer/person comes to town


Book info


A dear old friend from the 60s and one of my favorite writers, Marilyn Krysl, comes to Portland in April on personal business, so I'll get to see her after several decades. We were close when I was a graduate student, having met at a conference in Boulder and discovering we both lived in Eugene. She has made a reputation as poet and short story writer, headed the Univ of Colorado creative writing program, and recently retired. She's working on a memoir.

I think I saw her last in person in the 70s. We've exchanged occasional emails and recently reconnected when she saw an announcement for Oregon Literary Review. An earlier visit to Eugene to see her ill mother didn't work for a meeting. This time around she has more free time, so I think we'll be able to visit for a few hours anyway.

Marilyn's books
.


Beginning in the 80s, most of the new people I met were barflies, most of whom have died or remain in environments I no longer frequent. Consequently today I actually have more close friends in L.A. than in Portland! Remarkable or sad, or both, I'm not sure which.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I just bought "How to Accommodate Men" for school reading. You've made me a rabid fan.