Sunday, March 25, 2007

The rhythm of summer

Parts of my summer rhythm are beginning to fall into place. Two and a half days with the ukulele tell me that I should be able to do what I want to do with it. There small fretboard is a problem but, being a guitar player, I know a few ways "to cheat" such as forming triads instead of 4-note chords up and down the fretboard. Works fine for strumming. For picking there's no problem since you don't hit four strings at once. In other words, I should be able to work around the fact of my fat fingers on a skinny fretboard. I have no idea of the quality of my instrument and would like to know.

So my summer rhythm is taking shape. Writing, reading, piano, ukulele, house chores, for starters. I'll print out the Cold War novel today or tomorrow and get back at it. I'd still like to finish a draft before summer. Then I'd begin the draft of Nails In My Coffin this summer. Sally remains in hibernation. In reading, I want to begin Chapman's Homer, a huge reading project. I'll be continuing piano lessons through the summer, and in fall I'll add a music theory class. With uke, I plan to put together a CD of old timey songs to distribute to a few friends, maybe their Christmas present. My house chores begin with getting rid of books, tapes and other things from my office, getting ready to travel light. We own far too damn much for a couple of old farts.

So there's the outline for an ambitious summer.

In the meantime, spring is here, and I have a new class to teach and a new issue of the review to put together. Onward.

No comments: