Saturday, March 31, 2007

Long overdue

I just wrote the FBI requesting a copy of my file (Freedom of Information Act). Been meaning to do this for a long time but it keeps slipping my mind. Popped in my mind today while I was online, so I quickly found out how to make a request.

How do I know I have a file? I don't actually. But I assume I do from the 1960s. Two episodes in particular lead me to believe this.
  • One afternoon "Sally" and I were sitting on the front porch of an old house we rented near Eugene's railroad tracks. Suddenly a fancy car cruised by and slowed down. Two suits were inside. One suddenly leaned out with a camera and started snapping photos as the car sped off.
  • I was walking between classes on campus. Coming the other way, a student (I assumed) with a beard on a bike. Just as he passed me, his hand holding a camera snapped out in front of my face, click! and he was off and racing. I chased him but he got away.

I assume both these incidents are related to FBI surveillance of the campus political scene, in particular of "left-leaning" faculty and grad students. Nothing else makes sense to me. So I've always been curious what the hell the FBI thought I was up to. Maybe I can find out.

1 comment:

John said...

hehe I'd LOVE to see this LOL

I wonder if I have one yet. I've been speaking, writing and publishing very openly lately about the history of tyranny in the US, culminating of course with the regime of George W...

And since these days we are living in a sort-of return for the Alien-Sedition Acts, which we all know made it illegal to criticize the President.