Sunday, March 11, 2007

deLay venues


Great places I've seen Paul over the years.
  • Overall, there were two places in the early years I most enjoyed seeing him: the White Eagle and a basement bar downtown, the name of which I can't recall. Alos at the Dandelion Pub off Burnside. He outgrew these by the time he was out of prison and getting an international rep. as a harmonica master.
  • I saw him on a blues cruise once, which was great. I always preferred smaller houses to larger.
  • As a duo or trio, apart from his band, which he'd do from time to time, often with Janice Scroggins.
  • Once or twice, after a night of drinking, we'd sit down and play together, my guitar, his harp, not great musically I'm sure but worth remembering nonetheless.
  • After hours in Bend when the band stayed at a lodge I was baby-sitting at the time.
  • Several times I got to hear his father play musical saw: he was great!


Dick's son Brad now has his own blues band in Moscow, Idaho. I gave Brad his first harmonica when he was about 10, I guess. Brad was influenced by Paul and got some spontaneous lessons from him early on (Brad's real mentor is a blues musician in Eugene, somebody Slim). Brad is damn good today. Whenever Paul's band played northern Idaho, Paul would let Brad sit in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard a lot about Alan DeLay's saw playing. He was an amazing man. I wonder who has his saw now...I hope somebody in his family took up saw playing.

Saw Lady
www.SawLady.com