Thursday, February 18, 2010

The sun, the sun!

Only this isn't the downer ending of Ibsen's GHOSTS, this is the upper morning of a day in Portland with very, very uncharacteristic sunshine and blue sky in February! May it last until tomorrow, my day off. Today, stuck inside with student scripts, though not many, I might be able to get outside a bit.


Great class last night, learned another song. I truly will miss this class. Only two sessions left. Not sure I want to pay the expense of private lessons. I have the best DVD set available, and I think I'll attack it with great discipline, an hour a day, and see how that works out. If it doesn't, I can find some private lessons to kick me in the butt. But I am very motivated now. I think I can do this on my own until the next advanced group class comes up.

I may change my mind tomorrow, but this is my thinking at the moment. I am, in fact, working on a song from the DVD, which will tell me a lot about how it compares to learning a song from a teacher. I finally have the basic down pretty well, I think. I still need to learn drop thumbing and work a lot on single string brushes. But the DVD covers that pretty methodically, too. And it's also about time to try some other tunings.

Banjo is becoming my front burner activity. When I get my banjo hat, watch out America!

No comments: