Monday, February 22, 2010

Exercises

For the moment, I don't need to learn any more banjo songs. I need to perfect the four I've been working on and also do routine exercises to hone skills: left hand closed chord positions, up and down the neck; right hand single brush strokes, double thumbing, drop thumbing. When I have all this down, I can move forward to more songs. But I think it is VERY important not to get ahead of myself, to make sure I am mastering the basic skills required. So for now, old songs and exercises. And some reading ahead to what I have to look forward to.

I don't know where I'll be come October or so, but I'd really like to make a CD for friends for Xmas. We'll see if I'm presentable by then.

When I used to be asked to do my Guthrie show after a layoff, if I didn't have at least a month to prepare, I turned down the gig. Of course, when it was up and running, I could do it on 15 minutes notices. But when you don't play for weeks at a time, I needed the time to make sure my chops got back to where they should be. I lost a couple good gigs because I wouldn't show up only half-prepared. Indeed, a few years ago, invited to perform at a Guthrie celebration, I found a compromise and performed only the recital/journal parts and let others do the music. Less prep time as an actor than as a musician. It worked out great.

No comments: