Saturday, February 06, 2010

Aging

Although the first symptoms of my aging have been physical (everything aches), the adjustment is largely mental, psychological. I've always been a prolific, obsessive, hard working writer. Now I just don't have the energy for it. I'm good for a few hours in the morning, then I need a nap or rest. I still am able to psyche myself up for my afternoon classes but when class is over, I feel ready to crash, which is to say, teaching takes more out of me than it used to. (At the same time, I enjoy it more, perhaps because there is less competition as my writing energy declines.)

I am, to summarize, a mere shadow of what I was only a few years ago. An old story.

So I seem to have the perfect projects for this decreased energy level because both are less obsessive to me than writing, i.e. the opera score and banjo practice. And I'm reading more because I have the time to and enjoying the hell out of it.

For every thing there is a season etc etc etc. There's nothing new under the sun etc etc etc. Nature wins etc etc etc. Cliches are cliches because they are true.

No comments: