Thursday, February 25, 2010

Banjo strategy

By the end of class, I'll have learned 5 songs, four in class and one on my own from KP's DVD. All in G tuning. I think the first thing I want to do is learn some songs in Double C tuning, which apparently is used more in order to capo to D and play with fiddlers. At any rate, there are 3 major tunings to learn and a bunch of minor ones.

Add Double C songs that use drop thumb.

Learn the songs at a slow pace without error. Then gradually speed up.

My teacher says she occasionally gives "a single lesson" to someone ... maybe I could check in with her from time or time, or maybe it would be good to try a different teacher.

Next week we'll learn the B part of our 4th class song, which is by far the best. Very cool. I forget its name but have it on the tab.

So I'll immediately start learning a new Double C song. Also, continue all the right hand exercises I've been doing. This will keep me busy while I decide about formal lessons.

Also, there is an "acoustic jam" every other Saturday at the music store where my lessons are, and beginners are welcome, so I think I'll make that a regular part of my routine, start playing with others and learning new songs.

So we'll see how all this goes. My energy and passion for the banjo are high, much motivation.

No comments: