Monday, February 08, 2010

A blog is a promise

"A story is a promise," writes Bill Johnson in his book of the same name about storytelling. I think a blog is a promise, too -- or should be. It's a promise by the writer to add contributions on some kind of regular basis. Several times I've become attached to blogs whose writers made daily, or almost daily, entries, only to have the writer suddenly disappear for days, weeks, even months at a time. Needless to say I deleted them from my list of blogs to visit but nonetheless, I felt some unspoken compact had been violated. It suggested corporate behavior to me: I became attached to Maple Mocciatos at Starbucks when they introduced it, then a few months later they dropped it for lack of interest or something. At the very least, bloggers who are going to scram should give warning.

No comments: