Thursday, November 09, 2006

O What A Night

Doowop by The Dells, as I recall.

Faust was good, though I was a tad disappointed. The ending has never worked for me dramatically, though the music is powerful. But what bothered me about this production was the stagecraft: although many fine stage pictures were created, I thought it was too busy and distracting too often. This also resulted in longer than necessary scene breaks.

The highlight of the evening, however, was a surprise. The Nurse, who has season tickets, stopped by with a package for me, a late birthday gift. By the size of the box, I expected a sweater or something. Turns out the box was just filled with goodies, from chocolates to a key chain, a journal book to a CD, making me feel like I was having an early Christmas instead of a late birthday. I waited till I got home to open it, the perfect high point on which to end a good evening.

Then I turned on TiVo and got still another bonus: Rutgers upset Louisville in the football game tonight! I love it when teams with higher GPAs are victorious! I keep waiting for Harvard to win the BCS.

Not only all this, tomorrow is Friday. Piano lessons and writing to do.

For some reason, during intermission at the opera, a short poem popped into my head:

AT THE CEMETERY

Yellow gold red brown
Fallen leaves adorn the ground
One three seven ten
Counting gravestones never ends

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your poem about the gravestones reminds me of the features I often find at this gentleman's blog:

Clarity of the Night
http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/

He often pays visits to cemeteries, and features unique headstones on his blog. ;)

PS - found you via a google yesterday. Glad you enjoyed *most* of Faust.

Charles Deemer said...

Thanks for the link and for stopping by. Hope you return.