Sunday, November 26, 2006

Dark Mission


This morning, checking out archive stats, I happened to notice that there have been five downloads this month of the complete score of Dark Mission, the John Nugent opera to which I wrote the libretto, a story based on the historical Whitman Massacre. Further checking noted that there have been 20 downloads since the first of the year. This strikes me as a lot for the complete orchestral score of an opera. I may be wrong.

I'm disappointed no one has picked up on this yet. However, I'm not sure John is marketing it as aggressively as he should. The marketing on my end, where the regional interest should be higher, has come to naught. Very disappointing. I don't think neglect reflects on the quality of the work but on the tunnel vision and busy schedules of opera companies. The composer more than the librettist needs to make something happen, but most artists don't market themselves very well. I should know ha ha.

No comments: