Monday, November 13, 2006

Down, demons, down!


Marie's memorial unleashed a lot of ghosts and demons, which have been haunting me all day. A good sports feel-good story like this is just what I need. I admire Lorena Ochoa because she has a ton of class. Besides being good, she is soft-spoken, focused, consistent -- all the things a teenager like Michelle Wie is not (but might become if she chooses the right mentors). There's precious little class in sports any more (but certainly more in women's sports than men's and more in "minor" sports than the big three majors), so I celebrate it whenever I see it. This award is well deserved:

Ochoa Wraps Up Player of the Year Award

The Associated Press

Lorena Ochoa wrapped up the LPGA Tour's player of the year award with a record-setting finish in the Tournament of Champions. The 24-year-old Mexican star shot a 7-under 65 on Sunday for a 10-stroke victory and a tournament-record 21-under 267 total. She ran her winning streak to three with her sixth victory of the year and earned $150,000 for a season total of $2,492,872.

'Winning this tournament was very special,' Ochoa said. 'I think this is going to be a place I will remember for the rest of my life and just achieving my goal of being the best player in 2006.'


Read complete story


Off to cook dinner tonight, another activity that wards off demons. Demons like the Great Questions of Life, not the wonderful little moments like going to the copy center, grabbing a cup of coffee, or making dinner. Keep focused on the small & immediate.

No comments: