Saturday, November 11, 2006

Confession


I know enough
To know
How little
I know

Charles Deemer

This brings to mind the ending of my short story, The Epistemological Uncle:

I settled into my seat, closed my eyes and for the first time began to realize how little I knew and how uncertain would be the knowing yet to come; so that by the time the train announced its departure from Adam, sounding like the howling of my Uncle Buck, "Do you really knoooooooooow?," I knew I didn't know what had really happened between Judy and me, or why Uncle Buck drank, or what was waiting for me at college.

I didn't know much of anything, though I didn't yet know that this itself was knowing.

This title was one of Dick's favorites. In many a scene, we'd witness something together and Dick would turn to me with his bad-toothed grin and say, "the epistemological uncle," which would crack us up. Damn, I miss moments like that.

No comments: