Saturday, November 04, 2006

"Would you practice something else, please!!" -- or how the blues got its name

W.C. Handy, composer of "St. Louis Blues"

Here, mistakes and all, is the closest I've gotten to recording a clean copy of my first song of interest after a month studying piano. I suppose it is here in order to prove I've progressed to using two hands (almost). I suppose it is here because I am frustrated at not recording it without error -- and this is the best I've been able to do. I suppose it is here because it's raining outside.

An attempt to play the opening of St. Louis Blues with two hands and two eyes and one brain without at the same time being asked to leave the house (mp3).

3 comments:

Julie said...

It's beautiful! Frabjous! Simply marvey. You've got mad skilz.

Phil said...

Okay, that's it! You definately have found your calling...

Actually, considering how long you've been playing, it was quite good. And, pretty darn bluesy to boot.

George said...

I remember a series of songs you recorded about screenwriting that were quite good - they were bluesy if I'm not mistaken - so I'm not surprised at your piano virtuosity. If you ever master Rhapsody in Blue I will build a shrine in your honor.

George Smith