Friday, November 17, 2006

For Your Consideration



I can't recall the last time I was so bored in a movie. The problem wasn't that this movie was "bad"; it's that it was too familiar. Watching this film was like hearing a good joke for the 100th time. You know it's a good joke but you don't laugh. In fact, you barely listen, it's all so familiar. This movie probably works for those who don't know squat about Hollywood or making a movie or all the miles and miles of satiric footage done on these topics over the years. But for those who do, this is all old hat, endlessly repetitive, the same old stuff. God, was I bored!

Christopher Guest burst upon the scene with Waiting For Guffman with a brilliant new comic voice. Best In Show was a great second film. But then, to my tastes, he started dealing with topics that were too easy because they were too familiar, folk music, Hollywood. Come on. What's next, a satire of the rich? I've liked each Guest film less than the one just before it. With this one, he's hit rock bottom for me, so I assume the next one can only get better.

No comments: