Monday, July 28, 2008

Inflexibility

I've been carrying around Chapman's Homer for some time now, putting off budgeting time to read it. In the fall, I noticed, was a non-accredited seminar in the Iliad, so I thought, here's discipline to read the first volume of Chapman! and inquired whether the instructor would mind if I read this translation. Her reply: Everyone must read the same modern translation! If I want to add Chapman AFTER reading the modern, fine. Like who has time to read two at once? Pretty tight-sphinctered of her, I think. It's not for credit or a grade or anything, the class costs a bundle, who the hell cares if I read Chapman's translation instead? Homer is always broken into verse and line, like the Bible, so it's easy to be on the same page. I would think a classic translation would add interest to the class. Well, pooh on her and her course.

No comments: