Sunday, July 27, 2008

Am I this ambitious?

I've been brooding for some time over whether or not to tackle a feature on the Flip. What makes the possibility attractive now is that I have the perfect actors for mother-daughter in my play WAITRESSES. This almost became a movie in the 80s, so close that the producer told me it was a done deal -- before a backer pulled out at the very last minute, the meeting to sign contracts. Damn close! The script I wrote in that adaptation, RUBY'S TUNE, was much more "Hollywood" than I'd go here. I'd rather be closer to the play, a kind of "filmed play" the way Mamet's adaptations of his own work are. I might add a character or two, or give the rest of the actors in our "company" bit roles. But the mother and daughter could be so perfectly cast in this mother-daughter story, it's damn tempting! I could probably tighten it to an hour, slap it on a DVD.

I'm serious enough that I told an actress to read the script and tell me if the role interested her. I could rework the script in winter, rehearse in spring, shoot in summer. Jesus, am I becoming a filmmaker at my age?

No comments: