Sunday, August 09, 2009

Whole cloth

I've always had a sense of my work being made from whole cloth. What do I mean by this? That everything comes from the same source and everything is related. It's as if there's one Large Work, maybe we can call it My Life, and from this come small individual works, a play or screenplay or novel or even a video, but it all comes from the same stock, the same source, the same Large Cloth,. which looms like a mother ship.

And another part of this is that everything is written in the present tense. Just about everything I've worked on has been changed in process by a book I read while I was working on it, or a movie I saw, or a person I met, or even a joke I heard. The present tense input always influences what I am working on.

Thus just a moment ago I realized that the difficult novel I'm struggling with (not the more recent one coming quickly, easily, because its form is so traditional) and the video memoir share a good deal. Hadn't occurred to me before.

No comments: