Friday, August 07, 2009

Recall numbers

I read in the paper yesterday that our leader says we have 4500 signatures so far. This is terrible! To be on track, we should be at 17,000. I've turned in 120, so if 200 did the same, we'd be at 24,000, ahead of schedule -- and I'm not busting a gut doing this, I'm just VERY consistent and reliable, at the same place at the same hour, four days a week. I'm dependable.

This suggests a terrible strategy because the numbers are there. Every poll has close to a 50-50 split on the recall, which is many more than enough numbers to make it happen if, and only if, those who agree to a recall actually sign a petition. The major complaint I hear, over and over, is, Nobody knows where to sign a petition. This is because the info is online and only online -- our leader is a techie. But here's the generation gap: a high percentage of people wanting the recall are seniors without computers! They don't know where to go. I hear this constantly.

About 900 folks signed up at the website to be "active" in gathering signatures. Where are they? If each gathered only 20 so far, we'd be on track!

So something definitely has to change if this recall is going to make it. The numbers are there, more than enough. The strategy to reach the folks is not. Nor is there communication -- I had to find out where we are in the paper! Our leader should be keeping us informed, giving us pep talks.

Meanwhile I'll keep doing my same old reliable as clockwork thing. (There are little branch libraries all over the city where folks could do the same.)

No comments: