Saturday, August 15, 2009

A leisurely day

There being no grad students here I used to hang with, the writers clique smaller than the PhD clique, we're on our own today. Go to Sat market and shoot some, I suspect.

More tidbits from the reception. Bert Sabol, a PhD candidate I really liked, died 20 years ago! Cancer, far too young. I'll always remember the big deal he made at the reception after opening night of my MFA play, bringing a bottle of EXPENSIVE champagne to celebrate.

Barre Toelken has been recovering from a stroke. He said when he came out of it, he couldn't speak. Then he got a call from a colleague in Germany -- and he started speaking German! The doc said the Eng part of his brain was damaged but not the German part! Never heard of such a thing.

Two nice memories from folks there: "I always enjoyed your music so much" ... and another who intro'd me to his wife a "a very fine playwright."

I got to chat with Jack Foster, from Ireland, who had his first checking account as a grad student and who wrote sixty cent checks -- SIXTY CENT CHECKS! -- a Maxie's tavern, several a night for beer. Yes, he remembered.

This is fine so far but I wish some of the writing croud were here. Of course, some of my closest grad school friends, like Gerry McNamee, have passed.

No comments: