Thursday, August 27, 2009

Strokes

A good hour at the library this evening. I continue to get thanks after thanks for volunteering my time this way. Never expected this.

And Deconstructing Sally is getting more praise than any work I've done in a while. I think it speaks to a lot of old farts ha ha,

My brother shares this: this best writing advice he ever got was in a Chinese fortune cookie. You'll be more convincing if you lighten up. Sally takes this advice. I believe it was my brother who also got my all-time favorite fortune cookie: You like Chinese food.

A relatively free day tomorrow, which I hope to spend in two ways: getting back to cleaning my office; and looking more closely at my Army novel in progress. I had occasion to open the file today and, man, some damn good writing is in there. The story is just such a mess. Maybe I can figure out the story and get this sucker off my back, The other novel that I moved to front burner is figured out, it's just the grunt work of doing it and then polishing it so it actually works. I know the story. The Army one is all great comic characters and surrealistic atmosphere -- but no real story yet. I need to figure it out. Maybe I can do that before school starts. It would be such a relief to get this wonderful material accounted for.

No comments: