Friday, August 07, 2009

College football

Back when my buddy Oklahoma Tom was still alive (the guy whose grave I visited on Veterans Day), this was the time of year when we'd be chomping at the bit for college football season to begin. Less than a month away now. He was a big Oklahoma fan, of course, and I call myself primarily a UCLA fan rather than an Oregon fan, childhood trumping everything, though I root for the Ducks against everyone except the Bruins. College football gets a little more contaminated every year, however, and maybe before I pass I'll end up being a high school football fan first and foremost. I don't like watching arrogant players who think doing their job deserves special fanfare,

But I don't have a sports buddy these days, so football isn't the social event it used to be. I always enjoyed the leadup to the season, August, when Tom was around because we had an entire month to rant and rave and argue about the season ahead. It could be as much fun as the season itself. It's not the same without him and his wonderful drawl.

No comments: