Sunday, August 09, 2009

No coincidence

At 6ish in the morning, Saturday or Sunday, I'm likely to be listening to the jazz station on the radio. A favorite DJ works each time then, radio hosts I've listened to for years. Imagine my shock and sadness when each announced this weekend that it was their last show.

This cannot be a coincidence. This reeks of new management setting a new policy and getting rid of the old farts who have been there forever. The same thing happened at the paper years ago, all my writer friends there getting booted. It's the way the new boss flexes his (or her, in the case of the paper) muscle.

Obviously I don't like this. When the DJ of the traditional jazz show, Dr. Jazz, died a while back, he was replaced by a kid who sounds like he reads everything, and I can barely listen to the show any more (if there were more music and less talk, perhaps I could). I fear the same may happen with my favorite weekend shows.

These old jazz shows are important moments that keep a body sane. What is the station up to?

No comments: