Sunday, August 30, 2009

Art for art's sake

I've never been much of an "art for art's sake" kind of guy since I supported myself through my writing in one way or another throughout my career. But that's changed now. As "an old fart," I don't have to write for money and I don't need validation or strokes really, though they are nice when they arrive (such as today's surprising review at Art Scatter). I can write for myself. Period.

Hence my digital film projects are about as close to "art for art's sake" as you can get. You can't really do anything with them except drop them into cyberspace. You can't enter them in festivals because they can't be blown up to movie screen size. The few "pocket film" festivals around have restrictive requirements, such as shooting them with a camera. There is no market for a film shot with a minicam. So you do them, make them available, and let your friends know.

So it is very unusual indeed when a respected critic like Bob Hicks takes the time to consider one of these small projects with as much seriousness as that with which it was created. Very gratifying.

The post below has the link.

No comments: