Friday, August 14, 2009

Remembering Paul deLay


As I was cruising on early morning errands, the jazz station played a blues ballad that Paul used to sing. The man was such a virtuoso of the harmonica that it's easy to forget what a great blues singer he was, especially on ballads.

I met Paul first as a fan in the late 70s, the first time I saw him, totally blown away by his talent. Later we became more personal friends when I started dating his ex-wife, with whom he was still close. These were wild, crazy times. I haven't met too many drinkers in my life who imbibed beyond my limits but Paul was one. He drove this beat-up VW and on the floor was a half gallon jug of vodka, which he'd swill at room temperature. I get sick in my stomach just thinking about it.

What great music he left us. He made his mark, even if he left too soon.

No comments: