Sunday, September 21, 2008

Whole cloth

One of the more fascinating experiences in the writing life is when a story drops into your head unannounced in full form, ready for transcription. This happened a moment ago, a short novel by the feel of it, though it could be a low budget indie film, but I think the former if I pursue this, and despite all these projects in process, the themes around this story are all the themes on my mind these days, and this looks like an amazingly economic bundling and expression of them, so hell, what do I do now coach?

In about 45 seconds, I outlined the entire story on half a sheet of paper. Beginning, middle, end, it's all there. Darkly comic. A touch of surrealism. Tone would be everything, so it's a challenge, not a slam dunk. Should I write it?

To a degree, while not derivative, this story is inspired in strategy by one of my favorite short novels, Saul Bellow's Seize the Day. The same compact tight focus. In mine, all the action happens in one day.

Something else to brood about.

p.s. I'm going to start it and see how difficult it is for me to find the right tone. If it's a struggle, I may put it aside, but if the right voice leaps into the language, I'm sure I'll be off and running.

No comments: