Sunday, September 21, 2008

Alcohol and the gods

The second coffee cruising focus of brooding this morning.

I have complicated views of alcohol and its use and misuse. I am, of course, an "alcoholic" by any accepted definition of the term but I don't call myself this because I don't accept so many of the tenets of traditional treatment. I call myself "a retired drinker." Of course, I'm not blind, and obviously the abuse of alcohol is a major social problem. But this problem is not being approached right, in my view, and even is aggravated by the monopoly of 12-step AA programs in the treatment industry.

The first mistake of the 12-step program is its first step: that the "alcoholic" is powerless over alcohol. Therefore, you need help from a Greater Power to stop alcohol abuse.

This phrasing of the problem is misleading. Is one powerless over gravity? Of course. Does that mean you have to call on a Greater Power not to jump off a building since gravity then will take care of business? Of course not.

The emphasis of treatment should be to EMPOWER the abusive drinker, not its opposite. Look, there's this gene you have, it's going to raise hell once you start drinking, but you are in total control here because you don't have to have the first drink, or how many it is before you lose control, just as you don't have to jump off the building to enter the control of gravity. Your choice. Your choice. You act freely, and there are consequences from your actions. This, not powerlessness, not praying to a Greater Power, should be the emphasis.

Here's how much the 12-step Religion controls the treatment industry. In treatment at the VA, my own counselor gave me a book, saying he would deny giving me the book if anyone found out! It was a book critical of AA, that looked at alcohol more scientifically (Under the Influence). Moreover, in treatment my job assignment was in the medical library, where I learned that the European view of these matters is very, very different and more science-based. Despite its mumbo-jumbo to the contrary, AA 12-step programs are Christian-based. Don't believe it? Try getting an AA group to do a Hindu chant/prayer rather than the Lord's Prayer!

But I object to much more than this. Alcohol is a drug, and like all mind-altering drugs, it has spiritual uses. Spiritual uses. Another way in which I was a trouble-maker in treatment was by my refusal to say all my drinking experience was destructive. That's ridiculous. A very small portion of the experience was destructive to anyone or anything besides my own physical body. On the contrary, many of the most enjoyable, insightful and spiritual experiences of my life included alcohol. I will not deny the truth of my experience.

I think alcohol should be used as a drug of enlightenment, not a party drug. I think its use should be taught and this includes education about the dangers of the drug when over used -- that is, the key is getting the right ingestion and then stopping. I think there should be a Dionysian approach to alcohol.

Fat chance, of course.

I quit because a doctor asked me a very simple question. How long do you want to live? This was 15 years ago, and I wanted to live longer. However, if somehow I had survived and the question was asked me today, my answer would be different. I wouldn't quit today, I'd hang it up. I'd think about and prepare my ritual of departure. 15 years ago I wanted to live as long as I could. Today, while I have no death wish or desire to commit suicide, I'm ready whenever the gods say its time. There's nothing critical to do here that I haven't already done. I don't have any kids or grandkids to watch grow up. I've outlived my closest friends. I feel blessed with the life I've had, and it seems there are better odds at things getting worse than better, both personally and in the world at large, so what's the point going out of my way to hang around? I don't see any. So if the alcohol question came up today, I'd say, well, doc, thanks for the info, guess I'll have a going away party and see what's around the bend, if anything.

If I'm still writing this blog at the time, I'll let you know when the party starts.

No comments: