Monday, May 19, 2008

Mellow Monday

It's our last warm day ... by the time H returns Wednesday, it'll be 50 and raining. So I plan to enjoy today. Leisurely scene work, some music study, some yard work. First things first, though, and off to Nobby's for breakfast. Breakfast is the best meal to eat out. When I visited my favorite teacher, Bob Trevor, in Honolulu back in the 80s, not too long before he died, I admired his routine of breakfast out at the same cafe, the same booth, the same waitress. I like routine like that. A crazy life demands some kind of routine ha ha.

I took lit classes from Trevor at Pasadena City College after the Army, as I prepared some credits before transferring to UCLA. He got me interested in literature and in writing by his mere presence and respect for the written word. I kept in contact for years after leaving his classes. I stayed with him in Kansas City, where he'd become VP of a college, when the Univ of Mo awarded me a playwriting award very early in my career. It was great to visit him, semi-retired in Hawaii. We always remember our favorite teacher.

No comments: