Friday, May 30, 2008

Infinity and more


The article on infinity is quite good. I remember my first encounter with set theory and Cantor's work and aleph classes of infinity -- you don't forget when your mind gets blown away. This was in a book called ONE TWO THREE...INFINITY by George Gamow, the first edition of which I read in high school. It's still in print. I've never understood why so few of my colleagues in the arts don't take a liking to mathematics, physics and other disciplines containing the same elegance and beauty as poetry.
clipped from www.mathacademy.com

Easily read and absorbed in an hour or so, Platonic Realms MiniTexts present foundational and popular mathematics topics at an introductory level.

INFINITY:


You Can't Get There From Here



NUMBER:


What Is "How Many?"



STUDYING MATH:


Writing For A Math Class



VISUAL MATH:


The Mathematical Art of M.C. Escher


 blog it

1 comment:

Kaz Maslanka said...

I agree they are both beautiful however the aesthetics of poetry and mathematics are quite different. That is probably why so many artists are not interested in math and vice versa.

Thanks for your post
Kaz