Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A young writer is his own worst enemy

Came home to a phone message from the agent who asked for five screenplays back in November. When I was a younger writer, this would have driven me crazy, trying to second guess what the phone call was for. Calling back tomorrow. I'd engage in this incredibly stressful interior dialogue: well, it must be good news because if it was bad news, wouldn't they send a letter or an email, who wastes money on a phone call to say you stink? and blah blah, losing sleep, fretting, all because of a stupid phone call from an agent. Jesus, what young writers put themselves through. The fact is, yes, the odds are that it is good news but it's not impossible that it's bad news -- but what is good and bad news anyway? An agent is just an agent. Either she wants to rep you or not. The world goes on no matter which. Your mortgage is still due, no matter what. You still have things to write, no matter what. So she calls when she calls, and what happens, happens. (But what if she .... blah blah ha ha!)

Got some work done on the new screenplay today, up to page 79 -- looks good for ending at 90 or soon thereafter, which is what I'm shooting for. Not sure what shape the draft is in until I relax and read it whole. I think some things are right and others still off. Duh.

An exhausting day but a great day. I really enjoy writing in my office. Fewer temptations and distractions than here at home.

No comments: