Thursday, January 18, 2007

Academic womb

Out of the slush and snow and into my office! 3+ hours before class, so I should be able to get some work done. On what? At this point, I have no idea. I may try to structure a Cold War story since that wonderful material from my life has hardly been used to date. Maybe another buddy story? So many ways to go with it. The screenplay in progress, "Hitler's Blue Movie," is a romantic thriller.

And then, oh yes, dear old Sally. I sure do seem to be avoiding that. I need to reread what I have -- this usually gets me excited about it again because I usually like what I've done thus far. Sometimes it's the opposite but at this stage of my career I have a better batting average on early drafts than I did when I was younger.

At any rate, good to be in the office! So glad school wasn't cancelled today, would have made catching up harder. Not too much lost with only a day lost.

Building the Berlin Wall, August 13, 1961

P.S. When I start a new story, I usually like to embrace a different story strategy than I've used in the past. Why rehash an approach? I've never done a novel that takes place in, say, 24 or 48 hours. I may do that with the Army material. Maybe the day before and day after the Berlin Wall went up! Lots of excitement there. And I can use flashbacks to fill in stuff. Hmm. May see if I can diagram a structure around this concept. Onward.

No comments: