Friday, November 06, 2009

Michael Moore's Sicko


I didn't see this when it came to theaters for the reason that I'm not on the Michael Moore bandwagon, as so many in town are, and have not liked his recent films. I don't like the tone of those films, the strident and manipulative narrator Moore becomes.

What a surprise, then, that I love his look at health care in America, which I saw on cable recently. The Moore narrator here is neither strident nor manipulative. He's soft-spoken, curious and shocked by what he finds. It works. Here is a likeable narrator, not one who stacks the deck and lies to his subjects. As a result, this is an important and revealing documentary. Fine work, Mr. Moore!

But I'm still not on the bandwagon. One film at a time. You lost me when in a speech here a few years ago you gave the large crowd the unlisted phone number of our infamous right wing radio personality. Cheap shot. Rude. Like some of your films.

You're much more powerful and convincing when you're nice, pretending to be innocent, instead of cute, striving to be radical chic. The facts are more convincing than your ego.

1 comment:

MuseForce said...

I too am prejudiced because of Moore's self-righteous ego. I will take your word and submit myself to his new "comment." I hope I am up to it. . . .