Monday, November 23, 2009

Mean spirited and ignorant

It's hard to know how much the culture has changed in the past half century. Media makes so much known very quickly today. Maybe what seems to be change is merely increased visibility. Yet in my gut I think the culture has changed. I think it's more mean spirited and more ignorant than it used to be. I think much of the blame for this is the decline of our educational system and the decline of the family, which in the past valued education more than it seems to in today's broken homes. I also think the quicker pace of life has hurt the culture by undermining the values of silence, contemplation, slowness. We may know more "things" but we are far, far less wise, it seems to me.

The great irony is that it's much of the immigrant population that still embraces the value of education. Science fairs, spelling bees, scholarships and other measures of student achievement are represented by immigrant kids far in excess of their demographics.

No comments: