Monday, November 09, 2009

Old monkeys

Last night I revisited those old monkeys on my back, "Sally" and the Cold War, looked at Deconstructing Sally, read Baumholder 1961, and I'm happy with each. Neither will set the world on fire (what does any more?) but each does what it needs to do, and the former already has fans. I think the novella will find fewer fans but hopefully "vets" who know what I'm talking about will dig it. I sent it to one, an Army buddy and retired TV film editor, who used to be the senior editor on the Dallas series. We were tight in Baumholder, and he shared many of the experiences on which the story is based. I made the usual many changes, so am curious what he thinks about it. In my inscription to him, I called it "riffs on shared experiences." That's about right.

Another rainy day, but also another mellow day by the start of it. I already did a bit of work on the splay. Also last night, I wrote a few opening paragraphs on a new take on the novel, a different narrative voice, and I'll look at it later and see how it survived the night. Or not.

No comments: