Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"News" that isn't news

In general, there aren't many newscasters out there whom I admire. I grew up with David Brinkley, Chet Huntley, Walter Cronkite and ilk, men with serious demeanors who earned my respect. Today newscasters are chummy. They seem to want me to like them, not respect them. Moreover, most of the "news" they report on was ignored in years gone by, a celebrity who gets arrested or changes hair style, a nitwit who writes a book. Now and again somebody comes by -- Aaron Brown comes to mind -- who reminds me of the more serious newscaster of the past but they don't last long. CNN canned Brown, for example, for no discernible reason except the most important one, ratings. Apparently most Americans today want chummy newscasters reporting gossip rather than serious newscasters reporting news.

I don't listen to much national news lately. My disappointment in Obama has made the news too painful, too deja vu all over again. I started listening more to sports news and, somewhat to my surprise, have become a fan of Mike and Mike in the Morning, a pair of sportscasters who have found an informative and entertaining formula for the daily sports news.

I hear Brown now is a college professor, teaching media courses. He must have interesting and important things to say to his lucky students.

No comments: