Sunday, July 19, 2009

Man on the moon

40 years ago tomorrow. Amazing. I was in Eugene, in grad school, and I have vivid memories of walking in the early evening, the moon overhead, eating an ice cream cone and talking with "Sally" about how surreal it all seemed; and I said the moon as metaphor would never be the same. Actually I was wrong. I envisioned a series of other moon landings to follow, and quickly, and eventually some housing project up there. But in the moment of glory, the space adventure seemed to end. Something was lost.

Now there's energy to get it back, land on the moon again in preparation for going on to land on Mars. I'm all for it. Yes, there was more immediate challenges right here on Earth. But now the survival of the species may be at stake. We may need a new home to flee to after we've destroyed this one.


On the deck, watching the birds feed, a glorious day. Not a great day for the recall, in my opinion, too much "show" and not enough results. The biking community is a poorer demographic for the cause than blue collar workers or senior citizens, for example.

If there is a recall election, Adams surely will run again. And if he faces the same opponent, I think he'll win again. A new progressive candidate has to come out of the woodwork. I like Amanda Fritz. What I like about her is she is the ONLY council person ever to reply to my emails about Adams. I also like her study against the Lents ballpark. I don't agree with her on everything but I find her to be conscientious, reachable, a refreshing change from the arrogance at city hall.

I like this new experience of blogging, of getting online, from the deck.


I'm staring at a patch of blue sky where once the tallest tree in the area stood. Came down as part of the development going on here, came down for an entranceway that easily could have been moved, despite our protests. Gone and forgotten, I suppose -- except I remember it, still.

No comments: