Friday, July 10, 2009

Quotation of the day


The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning.

- Adlai Stevenson

I've long been a Stevenson fan. Obama, in some ways, impresses me more than anyone since Stevenson, but I'm also disappointed that the President isn't moving more quickly in areas where real change could happen quickly, such as changing the military's policy toward gays, i.e. letting them serve openly. But O may know what he's doing since this policy fits within a larger picture in which he must juggle many issues at once. So I'm not condemning him, just wondering why it's taking so long. I love the respect he's brought to the office in international circles. I love that he is not an ideologue, understanding that politics is the art of the possible. Ideologues, of which there are very many (and many in Pdx), are bitching already, of course -- on both ends of the spectrum. Ideologues are blind to grays and compromises.

No comments: