Thursday, July 30, 2009

Attitude adjustment

Mine. This is a major focus today. Get myself into a different place and start getting some work done on various projects.

One bit of good news, we cleared the first hurdle on the housing crisis, the major one, and the monkey is almost off the back now. Our house, according to this recent appraisal, is worth 175% what we bought it for 10 years ago. That's wild. Might be worth twice when we sell in 5 years or less.

But I need to look at my projects, look at my time, and figure out why so little is getting done. I think most of it is attitude, as in running out of steam, which is fine. Maybe all it takes is a more realistic set of expectations now. Obviously my work life and rhythm are in transition, and no doubt a good portion of this has to do with age and energy. Fine. But I've been expecting of myself what I expect every summer, which is considerable writing, and it's not happening. That may be fine.. I just need to get my expectations in sync with reality.

What is going well is the recall, or at least my part in it. But we have so many signatures to gather -- somebody told me it comes out to 500 a day! -- it's a chore. Apparently there are 300 of us ... well, I'm getting about 10 a day average, so that's 3000 a day if everyone is doing the same. Lot of wiggle room there. But this is just the first month, we have to maintain energy and results over three, a long haul like I say. If it doesn't make it, well, I see a long-lasting split in the city.

On the brighter side, gathering sigs is one of the more rewarding things I've ever done. I'm met many, many, many more good folks than whackos. Many of them thank me profusely for volunteering, for being where they can sign a petition, and most of these are of my generation or a bit younger. I haven't gotten many sigs from anyone under 30, say. I do think there's a generation gap at work. At any rate, I'll keep doing my library schedule as long as folks show up to sign. When they stop, I stop. But I definitely feel like I'm providing a service, and it feels good when so many let me know it.

Lot of birds feeding this morning! My vacation morning on the deck.

No comments: