Saturday, July 11, 2009

Zzzzz

Man, low energy today! Took H to the train station early in the morning so she can spend a day in Seattle with her grandson, tanked after that, though not back to bed, just zombying around.

A writer friend told me the name of the Russian comedian I was trying to remember. I already forgot. But I'll look at the email again. Thanks, Barbara!

Hate being listless, just hate it. Used to being full of piss and vinegar. All writing projects are going fine, though, if not driven by the obsession of my youth. In old age, writing definitely is a more casual activity than it used to be. Well, not exactly that -- the MIND writes as much, I think, or almost as much, but I'm slower to get it down. Eventually, I suspect, writing in the mind will be enough, and I'll be one of those old men mumbling to himself on the sidewalk and thought crazy but, in fact, I'm at work on my best piece of writing yet! Talk about false appearances.

It is supposed to be 86 today but at noon it's gray, chilly, and soporific. It's Portland.

Heard on the news that the recall movement must gather 386 signatures a day to get the required number. That seems like a HUGE number to me. I set a goal of gathering 100 myself. If our 700 people gather 100 each, we'll be great. But I don't expect 100 to be easy. In fact, I hardly know anyone in my usual circles who is for the recall. The few who are tell me surreptitiously, as if they can't let their progressive friends know. For the life of me, I cannot fathom how someone for Obama can be AGAINST the recall since the mayor's behavior is a casebook for everything Obama is against. Ideologues don't see the contradiction, obviously. I think the main thing that keeps progressives away is being bedfellows with all the nuts who also are for the recall, and I am sympathetic to this feeling. However, I take this new Age of Obama seriously, the possibility of it, and Adams' behavior contradicts everything Obama stands for. Adams should have called for a new election right off -- in fact, I think he would have won again if he had. But he kept digging the coverup deeper instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if Breedlove sues him in a civil suit. The kid got screwed in more ways than one.

Well, enough of politics. Although seeing video of Obama in Africa is heart-warming, it's so great to have a president one can be proud of, who represents the best of us. It sucks to have a mayor who represents the worst of us, and even worse that so many "progressives" don't give a shit.

Enough of politics!

Watched a 1962 scifi movie this morning called PANIC AT YEAR ZERO or something like that, with Ray Milland, and it wasn't half bad. Missed it. Of course, in 1962 I was in the Army and didn't go to films when I was in the Army. It was a post-nuclear war story with an incomplete, forced happy ending, directed by Milland himself.

I need a battery charge. A battery charge beats a lobotomy.

No comments: