Friday, July 10, 2009

Security blanket

A few days ago I made what in screenwriting would be called "a step outline" for the novel at hand, which has proven to be the security blanket I need, especially since my storytelling strategy is convoluted, not at all linear or traditional. I found myself getting lost, and if I'm lost, the reader is lost. The outline is to keep me on track as I develop this and surely I'll have to add more clue during rewrites. But first things first.

Our good, which is to say hot, weather is supposed to return today. Hope so!

A clear day to work on projects and house chores. And reading, into two wonderful books, still at the Fowles novel and also reading Terence O'Donnell's short history of Oregon, surely the best of its kind. O'Donnell, unlike most writers of regional history, writes like a poet.

Made a terrific batch of scrapple early in the week. Getting close to time for breakfast.

The upcoming grad reunion will have an exhibit of books by us all, no more than two from each, and I have to decide which to submit. Seven Plays with its Oregon Book Award Finalist sticker for sure, but what for the 2nd? At first I thought the opera for which I wrote the libretto but now I think I'll do a DVD, 3 Short Digital Films. Which reminds me, I still have video projects to schedule and return to.

The tentative removal of the monkey off our backs feels good. In a few weeks we'll know for sure if all is as we think it is.

We have 700+ folks trying to collect 50,000 signatures. Wonder if we'll make it.

No comments: