Saturday, July 11, 2009

2 films about Steve Prefontaine



Rewatched Prefontaine and Without Limits within days of one another. Interesting comparison. The former is shot in semi-documentary style, a chronological biopic that's pretty straight forward. But Without Limits, directed by Robert Towne, is more dramatic, focusing on the relationship between coach Bill Bowerman and his running prodigy. As such, it's more satisfying, at least to me.

The two films have very different takes on Pre's death. The former, which I've read is "officially" sanctioned by the family, clearly makes the death a tragic accident. Steve is driving his sports car at a very slow speed -- we see the speedometer! -- and is driven off the road by a hit and run driver.

In Without Limits, however, Pre is driving recklessly, speeding, fantasizing about breaking a record, not really paying attention to his driving. When he meets a car coming the other way, he is a participant in the accident, not an innocent victim.

I was at the U of O when Prefontaine was there. I didn't know him but there were many occasions when I could observe him in social situations, including when he bartended at The Paddock, and I saw him speed around in his sports car, habitually reckless. No way do I believe he was going slow before the accident that killed him. I don't buy the "official" version but the Towne film's version, that Pre was reckless. I'd never seen him otherwise. A tragic death, of course, but not so innocent a victim.

Without Limits is a fine film. I recommend it.

No comments: