Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Still feels like vacation

A good productive morning, though I haven't done any writing. Expect to later this afternoon. Got some necessary chores done, some writerly, some not.

Finished the Fowles novel and started my revisit of Pinter's screenplay. Each visit I admire both more. I stand in awe of the novel. Time to revisit some of his others.

Love this deck! Best thing about the house. Alas, weather being what it is in Portland, we don't use it as often as we'd like. But on days like this, it's perfect.

For the grad reunion, the library will display books by us all, so I sent them the three requested: my collection of plays that was a finalist for the Oregon Book Award; the opera to which I wrote the libretto; and a DVD of three short digital films. Variety! That should wow them ha ha. I'm sure a few of them will wow me in return.

I still don't have a handle on the video memoir documentary thing I'd like to do. I may get an actress to play "Sally" and shoot her later -- much of the thrust of this, the theme, it seems to me is my hallucination that I was going to Live Happily Ever After With A Soul Mate, who in truth was struggling with coming out as a lesbian. Talk about passing in the night! This, my life then, strikes me more and more as a dark comedy but also one perfect for the times.

So my approach is going to be to overshoot and overshoot some more. Get a lot of footage of the event and the area. (A beautiful butterfly just joined the birds, my colleagues out here.) It woould be great to get some historical footage, not sure if I can.

The other thing I can do is cheat a little, shooting campus scenes here that belong down there ... lines at the registration window, that sort of thing. If I can find the handle, this can be a first rate piece but I still am adrift in my brooding about it.

No comments: