Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Office hours

Itchy feet. Wanderlust. Have growing desire to take off in a van for an indefinite period with no destinations. Drive, park, hang out, and repeat. I actually did this one summer, was it 1971 or what?, camped 3 mos from Oregon to Nova Scotia, Louisiana to Canada, it was incredible. Even wrote it up for a later story in Northwest Magazine, "Travels With Ruby," our red VW. On a lesser scale -- less driving and more hanging out -- I wouldn't mind doing a trip without destinations again. Very liberating. You wake up ... well, where shall we go today? Or shall we stay another day?

This was in the portable manual typewriter days. Now I can do the trip with no isolation from my cyber habits. Keep and publish a journal along the way, even with photos and video. Amazing.

Wanting to do it and doing it are two different things. I don't think H shares my enthusiasm. She's a destination kind of person. A planner.

Otherwise, the front burner project soon must be getting the new review together, all that video editing. Fortunately the actual "work" goes very quickly, it's waiting for files to render that takes the time. So you double task and do something else on the review. All in all, it goes quickly once you're in rhythm, which is why I'm not in panic mode after all this recent procrastination I've been doing. Done this many times before and have it down to a routine.

No comments: