Friday, May 08, 2009

Jazz at Starbucks

H doesn't like Starbucks. I do. One of the things I like about it is that it opens at 5 in the morning. Another is that the ones I end up at in town play great jazz, Horace Silver on now for example, and this is pretty consistent. I feel like I'm right at home. I don't know how they select their music (frankly I can't believe the young help would select this, so it must be corporate policy) but I have the same tastes as the decision-maker. Very convenient.

I know it would be more politically correct to hang out more often at one of the indie coffee shops, of which Pdx has many, but when I go there I hear the music of younger generations, I learn the place doesn't open till 7, none of which win my vote. But as I look around, S is filled with younger folks despite the music belonging to my generation, so there you have it.

No comments: