Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

A full day planned, first with H's daughter in town and later an opera matinee. If we get home early enough, maybe I can do some more yard work before the evening chill hits. Or it may even be raining by then.

I was very close to my mother. She died over 30 years ago, far too young. She was only 65, just starting to collect Social Security. She was checking out of the hospital after a minor operation, dad was paying the bill, and she dropped dead. (Interestingly enough, my dad also dropped dead on the spot years later.)

I was living on Maryland's Eastern Shore at the time. The news was a shock. The flight west was a nightmare. We put mom's ashes in a lake at her favorite fishing hole, a bad idea because years later a dam hid access to the spot forever. It's out there somewhere.

Dad was lost without her. He lived almost another decade but it wasn't a good time for him.

Having each parent just fall down dead must be rare indeed. It saves watching a prolonged illness but it's also a great shock, leaving unsaid things that could've been said. Makes me wonder if this is a family tradition, of course. Well, if I drop down dead, I hope it's not in class.

Did some splay brooding and came up with a couple of nice twists. The strategy of this low budget, limited locations story, feels very restrictive to me, very play like. But I'm still enjoying it. It surely would be easy and cheap to make, that's the goal. Stick it online at Ink. and see what happens. Passive marketing.

Well, see if I can write a few pages.

1 comment:

Aixa Kay said...

The scene where both parents drop at the same spot is so moving.. More so, where your mom drops just the minute where the world, the motion, the signs, the everything pints to her recovery and survival from the hospital..I find that very moving and painful to say the least!

Could be the way you so plainly put it, giving me so much time to add emotions of my own!