Saturday, May 30, 2009

100 miles before breakfast

I was out the door at 5 this morning, cruising to watch the sunrise, Blues Before Breakfast on the radio playing great 50s artists, Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Otis Spahn, surely brought echoes of my father's mantra, "100 miles before breakfast," and reminded me how easily I could live in a van on the road, especially in today's connected world where any Starbucks or McDonald's gets me free online access.

Last night we went to an affair honoring the Rev. Dr. Marilyn Sewell, retiring senior minister at First Unitarian, and it was a heartfelt, well-earned tribute to her. I had a falling out with her some years ago but have always respected her, a leader in the local social justice community. She's also getting married, two huge life changes at the same time. She'll be writing and surely won't become invisible.

Writing and chores today. A tease of what the summer can be. Mustn't forget video and other editing, too, still have tons to do to get the new issue ready. Need to get the dog out for some running today, too.

In a good space, as the term runs down. As soon as the grades are in, have to face some howeowner issues and make some decisions that will affect the rest of our lives. But after that, I look forward to a fun, productive summer. Need to get to Idaho to see Esther. I'd like to get to L.A. as well but don't know if we can schedule it.

No comments: