Sunday, January 18, 2009

A few recent things I've seen

Been too busy to see many films lately. Here are a few:
  • MILK. Blown away by Sean Penn's performance, which I like better than the film itself. An okay film, expected more.
  • RECOUNT. Disappointed. Expected more. Amazed Laura Dern got an award, her part is so small.
  • BENJAMIN BOTTOM. Disappointed. Good performances but felt too gimmicky to me. Not much to do with the Fitzgerald story, which is typical and not a criticism. Reminded wife of FOREST GUMP, and I agree. Same sentimentality.
  • SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. First rate Hollywood-style action romance set in India, engrossing, then immediately forgettable. Proves the cliche: to make a Hollywood hit, use a tried-and-true formula in a tried-and-true genre and wrap it in an exotic, new package. For the first 15 minutes or so, I thought I'd really like this, a tough-minded dark comedy about the slums in India, but it quickly became a formula action romance love story, the usual boy-girl-overcoming incredible obstacles stuff, totally predictable, pure Hollywood. Very well done. But the only thing I took out of the theater with me was a bit of jealousy, Why didn't I think of this highly commercial idea? It always works. Always. My wife loved this sucker. She even thinks it has nothing to do with a Hollywood movie, which tells you how well it was done. It's actually formula all the way, except for the first 15 minutes or so. The magic here disguises the formula, and that magic is called Location, Location, Location.
  • EDVARD MUNCH. Peter Watkins' 4-hour biopic epic. Amazing. Brilliant. Seen this many times over last 30+ years, gets better with each viewing. Still brooding about it, after all these years, all these viewings. A masterpiece.

Eager to see REVOLUTIONARY ROAD. Maybe soon.

No comments: